Often when we think a team isn’t as productive as it could be, our first reaction is to spend some money on team-building exercises, often off-site. In my experience, your typical team-buildling challenge or social activity is great for getting out of the office and having some fun together…
What they’re not great for is creating lasting change and this is why:
- Team building has to happen every day – in the reality of your work environment.
- Team ‘issues’ are rarely about the team. To resolve them, you have to consider the individuals.
- Generic team activities are unlikely to address the specific needs of your team.
- Creating behavioural change requires insight, understanding and time.
What will work?
If you’re looking for a way to get your team to work more productively together, look for solutions that:
- Start with an analysis of your team members’ perceptions of the team;
- Are based on the realities of your workplace; and
- Provide suggestions you can implement now for immediate – and lasting – impact.
What do you think?
Do you have ideas for effective and lasting team-building? Please share your insights by adding a comment below.