A couple of weeks back, I was eating lunch with a business colleague I’ve known for years when she asked “What is it exactly that you can do for my clients?”
We talk all the time about why ‘referral clients’ are the best clients. We know why we want them and having clients referred to you is a whole lot easier than cold calling, don’t you think?
Like you, I know we have to be worthy of referrals and prepared to ask for them, but there’s also another step that is often overlooked. The clue is in the question above – a question we might be too embarrassed to ask because we believe we should already know the answer. You know it’s true!
Is it possible your clients and centres of influence could be thinking the same question about you, but are too embarrassed to ask?
Here are four simple questions to help you clarify what your referrers need to know about what you do before they can give you quality referrals. The answers are mine, for Balance at Work. I hope you can use them as a model your own “Referrer Education Program”.
1. Who do we help?
Established, professional and successful organisations and individuals who are ready to take their performance to the next level. Our clients:
- Care about people;
- Made poor choices in the past;
- Want to change;
- Are open to new ideas and
- Committed to taking action.
2. What do we do for them?
We make managing and leading easier with simple tools and programs that deliver benchmarked performance excellence for:
- Hiring and promoting staff;
- Developing and coaching individuals and teams;
- Measuring and rewarding performance;
- Managing and developing careers;
- Planning succession.
3. How do we do it?
We make people management best practices easily accessible and affordable for any organisation with staff.
- Predictive, flexible and benchmarked online employee assessments. We pick winners and help our clients keep them.
- Automated online recruitment processes. Any size organisation can select staff economically and efficiently with our system.
- Real coaching for real people and real teams. We listen. We don’t try to push clients into one standard model.
- Advice based on years of experience, observation, study and continuous learning. We remove the guesswork and uncertainty.
- Referrals to specialists who meet our clients’ unique requirements. When we don’t have the expertise they need, we send them to someone who does.
4. Why should they choose to work with us?
As one client told us recently: “You do something others don’t do and you do it extremely well”. We offer:
- Excellence, expertise and experience that make a difference; and
- We won’t waste their time, energy or money.
THE BOTTOM LINE: When you have your answers, let us know. We may be able to refer you!