At Balance at Work, we often get involved in helping our clients hire the best people. We also care about how they retain the best.
To keep key people, you need to know them and their needs.
As an exercise, imagine I’ve asked you to tell me the following about each of your top performers:
- Why do they work for you?
- What are their highest values?
- What could they earn elsewhere?
- What frustrates them about their job?
- What do they want to do in their career?
- How would they most like to be rewarded?
- Do they like the culture of your workplace?
- What worries them the most in their life right now?
- What are they most excited about in their life right now?
- How easy would it be for them to get another job if they wanted to?
How would you go? Would you have all the answers?
If you found some gaps, it might be time to do some research – by which I mean having some conversations. Your interest in the answers to these questions demonstrates your interests in your team as people, not just ‘human resources’. If you would like some help in retaining your team, please click here for more information.
Don’t you think they’ll feel like sticking around longer if they believe you care?
As always, have your say below…