Complainers. Whingers. How are you managing this type of employee in your organisation?
- Non-stop complaining about the company, the working environment, colleagues and customers
- Does not see problems as opportunities to improve a situation.
- Complains about things but walks away when called to take up the challenge to change things for better
Traits to look out for:
- Low willingness to take up challenges.
- Has very strong ideas of how things “ought to be”.
- Low or moderate technical competencies to perform the job.
- Has a weak desire to improve oneself by taking the necessary actions to learn new skills and adopt a mindset shift to address issues constructively.
- Does not act on constructive feedback
- May tire out managers through the recurring need to reinforce the same messages time and time again
- Might not hold personal accountability and fail to deliver results within their area of responsibility.
While this personality type may already be walking around your organisation – and causing stress on the company’s time and resources – it’s important for organisations to take measures to avoid future costly mistakes. And this is where a strategic approach to HR comes in. An operational HR manager focuses on processes and compliance, but a strategic HR manager looks at the bigger picture in the organisation and focuses on the best strategies to curb toxic behaviours within the organisation.
What’s more, interviewing as well as other traditional hiring techniques may not be adequate to weed out complainers. Using the Harrison Assessment can help you avoid hiring these types and help you manage the complainer who is already working for your company.
This post originally appeared on the Harrison Assessments blog. For more posts like this, click here
To find out how you can use Harrison Assessments to find the right people for your business contact us here